By: Denisse Cobian
Truth: Latina life is stressful. We’re always hustling at work, making time for family, trying to stay fit – eat well – stay woke in today’s f*cked up America….. and plan a Miches & Mimosas session with our girls. More tools to keep it all together would be great, right?
Mindfulness is an age-old practice that can help every Latina keep focused, and lead a healthy life. In fact, it can help manage insomnia, anxiety, chronic pain, and more (Source: Psychcentral).
What is it exactly? According to the experts at Mindful.org,
Mindfulness is the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we’re doing, and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what’s going on around us.
To help bring #Mindfulness to Latinas, I’ve broken down the most deliciously easy exercise…
Meditation Through Chocolate
I swear, ladies, this one comes straight from my doctor. One of the easiest ways to find center is to eat chocolate with the intent to enjoy every second, and think of nothing else. Worth a shot!
DISCLAIMER! Be patient…. your mind is likely to wander and that’s ok! Mindfulness doesn’t require an empty mind – it’s the practice of refocusing on what’s happening now. On not worrying about things past, or things to come. Every time your mind wanders, refocus our thoughts on this temporary experience and let yourself be there in peace.
To start, sit in a comfortable chair, feet flat, in a quiet place….
- Pick a bar of chocolate you don’t usually eat. Having a new, unfamiliar flavor will help you keep focus. Maybe even try my new favorite – Chocolov’s Chilies & Cherries in Dark Chocolate.
- Bring that novela-level drama. Open the packet slowly. Inhale the sweet smell of that choco-joy and let it reach every corner of your body. Don’t just smell it – feeeeel it.
- Break off the first piece. Listen to the snap. Follow the shape of the square. Notice the shine. Feel texture.
- Pop that sucker into your mouth and let it just rest on your tongue (this ain’t a race, Susan). Let it slowly melt, and notice your urges to chew, suck at it, or even the fact that you’re probably drooling a little.
- Focus and find the flavors. Chocolate and cherries may be first, but can you taste cinnamon? Coffee? Sweet natural sugars? Explore that tasty little piece until it’s gone…
And that’s it. You’ve officially meditated.
Much love, peace and joy hermanas.